Thursday, March 1, 2018

A Boys' Room

A project update! 
I think I shared this design plan a few weeks ago on the blog. I know I talked about it some on Instagram. This is a shared boys' bedroom! The client wanted a vintage baseball theme. So away we go! 

I started out with this plan to show her. I started out by jotting down different elements that came to mind when thinking about "vintage" and "baseball". Rugged, rustic, texture, antique. 

But, it's also got to function as a boys' room and have plenty of storage. 
So, here goes.

METAL: industrial letters, metal bed
LEATHER: leather benches at the end of the bed serve double purpose as storage and a place to sit and play video games, read books, etc.
COTTON: sheets, also in a pinstripe!
RECLAIMED WOOD: dresser and nightstand



The client has several Cubs pennants that we will have framed and use as art in the room. For the curtains, I wanted something boyish but not too themed (for example, I didn't want an actual baseball print). I found these at West Elm and thought they'd be perfect. They sort of read as a stripe, but it's abstract enough to keep the room feeling modern.

The rustic nightstand and dresser just feel like an old school dugout and baseball stadium to me. You know like League Of Their Own, but for boys.  Can you tell I'm a GIRL mom? :)


And here's the plan in action today! The furniture has all arrived along with the curtains and bedding! 


We've got to get a curtain rod to install the curtains yet, and still need to accessorize and frame the art. 
However, isn't this so cute! My client said her boys slept in here on their new beds for the first time last night and slept THROUGH THE NIGHT. 

HOORAY!


I decided not to do a literal baseball theme. Without the art and accessories that are to come, this could easily be a teen room or even a neutral guest bedroom. That's the key to kid spaces!! 
Be sure to choose items that they can grow with, not grow out of


I can't wait to share more when this project is complete!